Friday, April 10, 2015

Week #13 -- Back in the Shop


Credit: Kirby Downey for the image and creation/design of the weapon.

Spring Break is over! Which means this past week has been spent at school and in the shop. Monday was a religious day type deal, so school was not in session then. For the past 4 days, I have been unable to cut out my metal Fallout symbol. The plasma cutter blew a fuse or a wire or something else of that nature. As such, it was out of commission. In the absence of that, I spent my time doing odd jobs around the shop, I helped carry windows for the tear drop trailers from the office (quite a distance). I also made divet holes in the edges of the trailer walls so they could rest in the trailer fittings. It required a chisel and hammer, which was fun. Bashing stuff sure is exciting! In and around those jobs, I looked at cool 3D printed stuff from MyMiniFactory. One of the things I found that I loved was a 3D printed, 1:1 scale weapon from one of my favorite video games: Destiny. I wish I could print something like that, but the cost would be ridiculous.

The essential question of the week is: how has the water crisis affected you?

To put this question into context, I reside in Northern California, on the Western coast of the United States. Right now we are in year four of a major drought. As such, water rationing and not being able to grow crops has been quite an issue. And since Cali is responsible for 1/3rd of the produce in the country, the effect is felt nationwide. As for me personally, I have to take shorter showers and monitor myself when brushing my teeth and doing dishes. I always get water when I turn on the faucet, but I am a huge environmental kind of guy, so I try to conserve when possible. Next, the prices of both meats and produce will go up in price by next year. These prices are already high, but they can go nowhere but up at this point. I love meat and nuts, so those are two things in particular I'll have trouble enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment