Friday, January 9, 2015

Week #1 -- Rebooting Systems




Salutations everyone. It is I again. The first week of the second semester has arrived and died already. Quite surprising. This week I have been working on a metal art piece for my father's 50th birthday, which has passed recently. However, I wish to give him a personal gift even if it is late. Therefore, my work has been all directed towards this project. I based the project on the United States Marine Corps most prominent symbol: the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Symbolizing the proud heritage and honor that adorns all Marines, I figure this a perfect piece for my dad, since he is one (circa 1982-1988). I also favored it because I somewhat idolize the Marines and plan to enlist quite soon.

Anyway, I designed the piece in AutoCAD and Inkscape following instructions that our teacher left in a video. After it was designed digitally, I fixed all the errors on it and corrected them. This involved eliminating extra lines and thickening pieces so they would not break. After that, I uploaded the design to the plasma cutter and cut it out. Since there were little metal boogers and greebles, I had to grind them off. Next, I used steel wool to rub off dirt and rust. Finally, I am going to coat it in primer and then paint it scarlet with spray paint. Then it shall be complete and ready to turn in. I hope my dad will like it.

There is no essential question for this week. Expect one next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment